Sunday, May 27, 2007

Pretty dress for a special little girl
















I work as a special education teachers assistant in a classroom for mentally and physically handicapped middle school kids. Most of the kids in my class are pretty poor and don't have the resources for proper clothing. One of the teachers at the school runs a clothes closet that collects clothes and gives them out to the kids when they need them or come to school in clothes that are just not acceptable or functional. One of the little girls in my class is graduating to high school and she and her family do not have the means at all for her to get a nice dress for the occasion. A dress for her was found in the clothes closet but it didn't fit her properly nor was it very clean as it had a lot of stains. I took the dress home and with the help of my mother we cleaned it up, took up the hem a few inches and made it fit all around better for her to wear. I went to JoAnn's and bought some pretty rose ribbon trim and sewed it on some places. I also made her some jewelry and accessories to make the outfit complete so she will look very nice for her special night. I wish I could post pictures of her in the dress but I don't think that would be proper so I just have some of the finished dress and accessories. We also bought her a little white jacket to go over the dress as the thin straps are not "dress code," and also put a few pretty roses around it for trim to match.

No comments: