Thursday, July 12, 2007

Knit snobs and the crocheters who like to provoke them

I'm in LA over the weekend and I'm so excited to be in a new geographical location with new yarn stores to drool in and make inappropriate yarn purchases. Little did I know that there is some kind of unwritten and unpublished yarn law in LA that states you cannot run a yarn store on Sunday or Monday, or it could be that I'm now so indoctrinated into the 24 hour Vegas life style that I fail to realized that stores in other parts of the world actually close and have business hours. Out of a list of about 24 yarn and bead stores in the surrounding area of my hotel ...only one was open on Sunday or Monday. I will spare the reader the name of the store but as most crocheters know the proprietors of small business yarn stores tend to be Knit Snobs...and I was not disappointed. As I approached the doors to enter I resolved myself to take the high road and openly and proudly proclaim my status as a crocheter, and not be ashamed of my hook. The proprietors welcomed me warmly because as we all know most yarn shops struggle with sales when faced with internet competition but know they have an edge because of fiber freaks affinity to first fondle the yarn they want to buy. They asked me if they could help me and what it was I was thinking of making. At this point I took the low road and decided to test their tolerance and loudly proclaimed I was looking for some really nice and expensive yarn to make granny squares out of you know in...CROCHET...Oh the look of horror that past over their faces...ROFL. I have never before beheld my power at rendering others speechless, it was pretty funny. I had visions that they were pressing some silent alarm, in utter panic, under the cash register that was making a wild and loud alarm some place deep inside world knitting headquarters. But nobody came and locked me in a room and forced me to watch knitting instructions 24/7 for a week so I assumed my cash was ok with them and continued shopping. Neither one of them said a word to me for a long while, they just kept staring at me like a six legged goat every where I went and I was having fun at their expense.

I decided I was having enough fun at provoking knitters so I asked them about they yarn I really came in to buy, some Harry Potter colors for a house scarf I wanted to KNIT. I saw all the joy return to their faces and they helpfully pointed out some nice colors for me in the fiber I was looking for. I then thought they were going to die of happiness when I asked for some self stripping yarn because I wanted to learn how to knit socks.

Knitters are so funny....its so fun to provoke them....lol. I'm a bad girl I know but oh well, when have I behaved in the past?

=P

1 comment:

O'Malley said...

Before you leave, we need to go to a knit shop here and buy some sock yarn, but we'll tell them we are going to crochet squares out of it!! hahahahah
If we go to the one on the west side, we can even sit down at the tables and start crocheting the yarn!!! he he he.. we should go before cc on Tuesday!!! What time do you get off work?